Monday, December 1, 2014

The Happiness List

This is not my typical blog post. I find, however, that as winter settles in it’s difficult to remain positive (generally speaking) since the days are shorter and temperatures below zero become the norm. Yesterday’s unseasonably “high” temperatures gave me a boost, and reminded me of the beauty that is this world. As we welcome December, and in the lead up to the festive season, I thought I’d share some of my favourite things from my Happiness List (in no particular order, and definitely not exhaustive).

To me, happiness is

§  Waking up each morning next to my beloved.
§  Writing my Morning Pages each morning.
§  Writing daily.
§  Still running in shorts and everyone looking at me like I’m crazy.
§  Calls from my friends and believing mirrors, Heather-Anne, Myrtle and Adrienne.
§  Timely text messages from my friend, Zan, on days when I’m feeling blue, and her words turn my frown upside-down.
§  Having the courage to chase after my dreams.
§  Having coffee at Atlas Espresso Bar.
§  Creating a delectable homemade meal.
§  My nephews, Tony and Alex.
§  Devouring my homemade Lemon Meringue Pie (made yesterday!).
§  Murder, She Wrote (Gotta love Angela Lansbury).
§  Hearing, “Thank you,” for holding the door for the person coming behind me.
§  Maintaining a positive attitude in life.
§  Seeing the beauty that is this world.
§  Watching reruns of The Golden Girls.
§  Being alive and in good health.
§  Being ME.
§  Falling asleep next to my beloved.
§  The unwavering support, encouragement and love from my sister, Kim.
§  Watching a Steven Segal film (don’t ask me why … I can’t explain it myself. It’s pure escapism).
§  LIFE, its change and movement, its mountains and valleys, its sorrows and joys.
These are just a few of my favourite things that make up my state of happiness. As Denis Waitley tells us, “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”

No comments:

Post a Comment