Monday, June 13, 2011

Dreams Do Come True

This morning I spent about an hour at the neighbourhood coffee house, Le Tassé. I spent that hour hanging the paintings that make up the exhibition, Me, Myself and I.

My first solo exhibition since I moved to Sherbrooke in January 2010, Me, Myself and I aims to “reveal” an internal communication that evolves from this artistic cohabitation that transcends the artist’s daily life. The exhibition is a conversation between the artist and his work exploring the themes of confusion and insecurity, simplicity and possibility. Colour becomes the “language” that represents a certain state of being, and stresses the simplicity of structure and form.

Bringing together works produced between 2008 and 2011, Me, Myself and I illustrates the artist’s conversation with his works, and instils a mood in order to give each painting its own “emotionality,” as well as a sense of time and place.

***

I am a multidisciplinary artist, and ever since my childhood I’ve had a passion for writing. When I was at university, I spent more time writing short stories and novels than working on my class assignments.

As an artist, there are times when I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. I write every day, and when I think that a piece is ready, I’ll send it off to a literary magazine hoping that they would publish it. From time to time the publisher writes to say the manuscript has been accepted for publication; more often than not the response I receive is an email or letter saying, “We receive many quality submissions […] Good luck with your writing career.” For better or for worse, I continue to write because writing is all I know. Writing is my life.

When I opened my email on Monday, June 6, 2011, I almost fainted. Well, not quite, but I could hardly believe what I read. There was an email from a publishing company where I sent the manuscript of my novel. They wanted to publish it. Finally, after years of hard work, my dream was coming true!

In November 2011, my first novel, Caught, will be published by LazyDay Publishing, Reno (Nevada).

So I’ve learned that I must never lose hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment