Monday, January 23, 2012

Staying the Course

Ever since returning from my Christmas travels, I’ve had the itch to get away, flee Sherbrooke. And I did, making two trips to Quebec City, and then yesterday heading to Montreal to see the original English version of The Iron Lady. But even with my daytrip to Montreal, I have, over the past week, managed to get down to work.

The drama stayed on the page.

When I am focused on what matters, it seems that the universe responds in-kind. I am back in my studio working on a series of paintings that is taking shape nicely. I am making it, daily, to the piano, playing through familiar favourites and trying to capture down the music that I hear. “When Night Falls / Quand la nuit tombe” (http://youtu.be/pycLrO5lWj8) is one of my recent musical compositions. In terms of my writing, I’m in the middle of rewriting a novel as well as polishing another manuscript that I’ll submit to an upcoming contest. And, every second day, I am getting in a good run.

I am staying the course.

The day winds to a close, and I’m enjoying a glass of white wine (Château de Sancerre, 2009) as I watch episodes of the last season of The Golden Girls. It’s a great way for me to wind down after a good, and productive, day. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about where I’ve been, where I am, and where I’m hoping to go. Some days it’s harder that it seems, but I’m doing my best to blossom where I am planted. I still have doubts about whether Sherbrooke is where I should be, but, at present, Sherbrooke is where I am. And I will make the best of it.

As Martha Washington reminds me, “I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.”

No comments:

Post a Comment