Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Going Nowhere Fast

I had been awake only a short time when a flash of lightning lit up the dark morning sky. A moment later, claps of thunder rumbled so loud that the house shook (or so it felt that way). Then the power was gone. For the past twenty-four hours the forecast has included warnings of severe thunderstorms, and this morning those warnings rang true.

When the power came back on about fifteen minutes later, I roamed from room to room resetting the clocks, and then jumped in the shower. After a breakfast of blueberry pancakes (left over from the day before) with maple syrup, I was ready to work. I sat down at my desk and set to work on the project of the moment.

If I’m a little “out of sorts” these days, it’s because I’m out of focus. What I mean is that I’m not sure where to focus my efforts. Do I buckle down and begin another long season of rewrites on a novel that has been packed away for a couple of years, waiting for the right time to harvest? Do I throw myself wholeheartedly into the new writing project I’ve started, a project that has the potential to “take over” my life? Can I squeeze in time at the easel, tease out the new idea for a series of paintings? Will there be time left to get to the piano?

When I’m out of focus, I feel like my wheels are spinning, and that I’m quickly going nowhere fast. I need to get back to basics — set up a schedule that will, hopefully, allow me to tackle all of these projects, and stick to it. That will help me to get traction, in a way, get my groove back.

The sun is shining amid the dense storm clouds still hovering overhead, eager to take over the skies. I’m going to let the storm brew outside. Inside, meanwhile, I’m going to get down to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment