Friday, January 22, 2010

A New Day Dawning

Monday, 18 January 2010 (Ottawa)

This morning as I write, I am holed up, for the last time, at the Bridgehead on Wellington Street. I’m in countdown mode, waiting for the movers to arrive. The apartment is, finally, packed. It was a long process, and by the end of it I felt exhausted. My three cats have, however, enjoyed bouncing about the boxes, jumping into the empty ones thinking that they were for them to play in.

Once the movers have loaded everything into the truck, the cats will be corralled into their crates, and then loaded into the car for a three and a half hour road trip (depending on the traffic heading into Montreal). I’m hoping for a pleasant trip.

As the hours count down, I’m excited about this move. It feels absolutely right – that I am being held on the edge of some bold new vista. I can’t wait to jump off.

Friday, 22 January 2010 (Sherbrooke)

It’s a cool day but the sun is shining. I am sitting at my desk, coffee within reach, ready to begin a new day. I have spent the last three days unpacking boxes, putting together bookshelves – trying to create some semblance of home. Today’s task is to hang photos and painting on some of these stark, white walls and then I believe I will be able to say, “I am home.”

With the unpacking behind me, I am ready to get down to work. Moving disrupts life, and no matter how hard I tried, writing over the past six weeks has been difficult. I have written every day mind you, but I had fallen out of my routine. Projects advanced slowly, I had lost focus. Now I am ready to get back to basics, to push ahead.

My to-do list is long, and at times feels overwhelming, but this is the beginning of a new journey. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment