Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Do What You Love!

As I sit down to write, the Weather Network indicates that here in Toronto it’s -17°C, feeling like -27 with the wind chill. By the weekend temperatures will “soar” to 2°C. The rising and falling of the temperatures this week remind me a lot about life, how life is anything by linear. That’s what I love about life! Some days are smooth sailing, the wind is calm, there’s an absolute peacefulness that enlivens the soul. Other days the roaring tempest is doing its best to turn our lives into a shipwreck, and we’re clamouring for our very survival. That’s what makes life an adventure.

Barely two weeks into 2015, I find myself enveloped in hopefulness. Not because I am sticking to New Year resolutions that I made (actually, I don’t make resolutions), but because, daily, I am simply doing what it is that I love to do. No matter where I find myself Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montréal, or at home here in Toronto I begin my day by writing my Morning Pages. I’ve been making time, no matter how busy the day might be, to write. The result has been substantial progress made on a number of writing projects. I’ve been out running when it hasn’t been too cold outside; or at the gym in my building running on the treadmill. Coffee breaks at Atlas Espresso Bar. I’ve been reading books in genres that I have preciously “ignored” and thoroughly enjoying them, like Dan O’Shea’s Greed. I’m reaching out to friends and family, spread out across this vast country, to see how they’re doing. I’m walking through life with my eyes wide open, with my heart tuned to what makes it tick.

I know that if I want 2015 to be a banner year, I simply have to continue to do what it is that I love to do. When I do that, there is a natural ebb and flow to life. I can feel the hope, the abundance of the universe blessing me. Doing what it is that I love to do is the surest way to ensure that I am moving confidently in the direction of my dreams.

David Frost put it this way: “Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.”

No comments:

Post a Comment