Monday, March 24, 2014

I'm No Energizer Bunny

I’ve spent the past few days either in bed or stretched out on the sofa. Despite obtaining the flu shot, I couldn’t outrun the flu. It tackled me and held me down. I had no choice but to rest.

Why is it that resting feels so unnatural? Even with a fever of 102°F, I was still trying to do laundry or unload the dishwasher … even write. But I didn’t have the strength to stand very long, or the ability to concentrate when it came to writing. Aching bones. Chills. Nasal congestion. Sore throat. Hacking cough. I was utterly exhausted. Yet there remained an almost compulsive need to keep going and going, like the Energizer Bunny.

It’s a difficult thing for me to do. Rest, that is. And I still haven’t quite learned my lesson. Even when I’m sick, and can see people rushing about the city, I’m caught up in that rush. Instead of slowing down, I’m speeding up putting the metal to the pedal in an effort to increase my productivity and to move confidently in the direction of my dreams. But when I “forget” to rest, it’s my overall health that suffers. And when I end up sick nothing gets done.

Today I am feeling better, and soon enough hope to feel 100 percent again. Being sick recently has reminded me to, as Eddie Cantor counselled: “Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast — you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.”

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are feeling somewhat better. We were in all day because of the storm.

    ReplyDelete