Friday, May 17, 2013

Finding My Rhythm

Two days ago I sat down and wrote this blog although I’m just posting it today. And like two days ago, the day is warm and sunny. After a few cooler days at the beginning of the week, I’ve done my best to take advantage of the warmer weather, getting in a run the other morning. I track my runs using a website called, “Map My Run.” Eight days had lapsed between runs, and my body felt it. As I had started to run, it felt difficult and I wasn’t sure I would be able to do the 6.5 km run. But I did because I eventually found my rhythm.

That is my current challenge: finding my rhythm.

Making my way in a new city, navigating a new job, working to re-establish a writing routine, I find myself struggling to find my rhythm. Although I’ve been to Toronto many times before moving here, living here as a resident is very different. I’m excited to get out and explore the city in a new way. And, so, I’m distracted. Settling in to the flight attendant world is challenging getting up early in the morning, staying up late, long flights. At 39, my body needs time to recuperate but on my days off, when I can’t necessarily move off the sofa, I feel guilty because I’m not writing or doing something creative.

Now I am doing my best to write when I can. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, I’m frustrated that my projects are advancing slowly. But what’s important and this is what I need to keep reminding myself is that I am writing and my projects are progressing one word at a time, one sentence at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment