Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Rest

For the last two weeks, I’ve been “holed up” at home with a foot injury that is slow to heal. Two weeks of not running. Two weeks of hobbling around, attempting to not put too much pressure on my bad foot, and cringing with each step. The pain is still that bad. This morning, and in spite of the pain, I walked to the grocery store to pick up a few items.

Despite my injured foot, I have not rested. It is a hard lesson for me to learn at times, learning to rest. With running no longer on the daily agenda, I’ve had more time to write, to get at the piano to play as well as compose. More time to paint and clean up my studio. I haven’t been able to keep still. No, the inflammation in my foot has not forced me to slow down. To the contrary, I think I’ve picked up the pace a bit.

After a difficult few weeks where my concentration ebbed, it was a foot injury that became my muse. I’ve started a new writing project. I’ve finished revisions to a novel and have begun shopping it around. I’ve submitted two short stories and entered a contest. I’m working daily, slowly but sure, on rewrites to another novel. In the last two weeks, my time at the piano has yielded two compositions. Daily I’ve showed up to practice my art, and I let the art guide me. When I surrender myself to my art, there seems to be a natural ebb and flow to life that gives me hope. It is my safety net.

It is a bright, sunshiny day. I will get out this afternoon to take advantage of the beautiful fall day. I will do what I haven’t done over the past two weeks. I will rest. (Or at least I will try.)

1 comment:

  1. Should you maybe go see a doctor? I am glad you are doing some creative things. I am enjoying the manuscript.

    ReplyDelete