Friday, October 1, 2010

Le Verbe “Oser”

Here in La Belle Province there’s a yearly celebration of culture during the month of September. This year the Journées de la culture (Culture Days) were held 24 – 26 September, and thousands of artistic and cultural events were organized across the province.

In Sherbrooke this past Sunday, the group Arts Fleurimont (of which I am a member) offered the community a sneak peak of their new digs, which will officially open later this month. Visual artists set up their easels and displayed their artwork in the renovated cultural centre that used to be a church. Writers held the audience captive as they read their works.

I was one of those writers.

Sherbrooke is, of course, a French city, and I am part of a French writers’ group. French is my second language, but I mustered up the courage to join the rest of my fellow writers and read a couple of my French texts. Although my heart was pounding as I made my way to the podium, reminding myself to speak slowly, my works were well-received. My English accent, often described as “charming,” tends to get me a bit more attention.

As I was about to read my last text, a poem, I decided to take a risk. I presented the poem, originally set to music, in song.

It is no secret that my love for the arts traverses three major areas – writing, painting and music. As a newcomer to Sherbrooke, and fairly unknown to the masses, I'm trying to fully embrace the French verb “oser,” which means to risk, to be bold. What was it that Goethe said? “Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it”

And then providence moved, too.

I have always considered myself a “closet composer,” recording my compositions but never scoring them, and then forgetting about them. But one small, bold move has changed the mise en scène of my artistic journey, opening up a new door. On 21st November 2010, as part of the 16th Annual Arts Fleurimonts, I will not only exhibit my paintings and read publicly other selections of my writings in French – I will also perform four of my own musical compositions.

I do not know what will come of that experience, but whatever does happen, I can say that I am being daring and bold. I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! Congratulations. I know how hard it is to take that first bold step.

    ReplyDelete